Like everything these days, most turntables are made in China. Chinese turntables include Leetac, Hanpin and Skywin. These turntables are then imported and branded by companies like Crosley. While these factories can make high-end products, these turntables by them should be avoided by them at all costs.
Most of these are turntables are cheaper than $50 and all of them are under $150.
The famous briefcase-style turntable often seen at Barnes & Noble, Urban Outfitters, your friends’ social media profiles and other places that aren’t known for caring much about audio equipment. They’re available in several variants, some have square speakers, some have round speakers and some have speakers on the sides. They’re made by Skywin in China and imported under a huge number of brand names, most famously, Crosley. Here’s a list of the turntables. You should avoid all models (except noted exceptions) from these brands when choosing a turntable. Click on the links below to see an example of a turntable from these brands:
- AMOS Retro Suitcase Briefcase Style Turntable
- Akai A60011N Bluetooth Rechargeable Record Player
- Assai Vinyl Record Player Retro Turntable Briefcase
- Bush Classic Portable Turntable
- Caseflex Turntable Record Player Briefcase
- CMC Turntables
- Crosley Cruiser
- Crosley Executive
- All other Crosleys except the Advance and the C100
- Denver VPL-120 Black 3 Speed Vinyl Record Player
- DigitNow！ Vinyl Transport
- Digital Tec Retro Record Player
- Elyxr Audio Revolution Portable Vinyl Player
- Feir Turntables
- Funkyfonic Turntables
- GPO Attache Briefcase Style Three-Speed Portable Vinyl Turntable
- GoJiaJie Turntables
- Grausch RPS100 Briefcase Style Three-Speed Portable Vinyl Turntable
- Intempo Retro Portable Bluetooth Compatible Turntable Record Player
- ION Audio Vinyl Motion
- Jensen Turntables
- Miric Turntables
- Musitrend Turntables
- MYWAVE/My Wave
- Numark PT01 Touring
- Pyle PVTT2UOR Rechargeable Retro Belt-Drive Turntable
- Steepletone – All models
- Tokky Briefcase Style Three-Speed Portable Vinyl Turntable
- UKayed ® Black Turntable Leather Briefcase Style
- Victrola Turntables
- Xenta Vinyl Turntable
- Zennox Retro Briefcase Style Vinyl Turntable
- Vinyl Styl turntables
The stylish but equally crappy all-in-one console. Made by Leetac of China and sold by GPO, Steepletone, Crosley, Ion and all the other no-no brands.
These are meant to look like real turntables but they aren’t. Some may have fake counterweights. Their distinguishing feature is their red cartridge. Look out for this when buying turntables online. This cartridge tracks at 5+ grams and all turntables using it do not have adjustable counterweights. Brands using this turntable include 1byone, Benross, Kenley, Steepletone, GPO, ION and Assai.
Low end tables from high end brands
These turntables come from reputable brands like Marantz, Sony and Audio-Technica but are actually just Leetacs with audiophile brands stuck on to them. These are just as bad as the turntables listed above and should be avoided at all costs.